2017 Summer Teacher Tours
The Minnesota Agriculture in the Classroom Program (MAITC) offers unique summer tours that allow educators to get a first-hand look into the world of agriculture. Resources, hands-on activities and interactive ideas for integrating agriculture in your curriculum will be discussed and shared. CEUs and graduate credits available.
Specialty Crop Tour
8:00 am – 4:30 pm July 17th & 18th
Tour stops include:
- Untiedt's Vegetable Farm, Waverly
- Len Busch Roses, Plymouth
- Big River Farms, Marine on St. Croix
- Minneapolis Public Schools Nutrition Services and school garden
Many Faces of Agriculture Tour
This is an overnight tour! 8:00 am Monday July 24th – 4:00 pm Tuesday July 25th
Tour stops include:
- New Sweden Dairy Farm and Dairy Education Center, Nicollet
- Children's Museum of Southern Minnesota, Mankato
- Arnold's Implement, Mankato
- Farmamerica, Waseca
- University of Minnesota Southern Research and Outreach Center – Swine Research Center
- Chankaska Creek Ranch and Winery, Kasota
- All American Foods
Northern MN Tour
10:30 AM – 7:20 PM Friday July 7th
- Laporte School Garden, Laporte
- Little Timber Beef Farm – rotational grazing, Blackduck
- Mistic Berry Farm
- Common Ground Farm Dinner, Blackduck
- See, smell, hear, touch and taste the agriculture, food and natural resources that allow for our survival.
- Identify and acquire free agriculture-focused education resources from a wide variety of sources.
- Utilize resources and experiences gained to develop activities that apply authentic agricultural examples to teach core curricular concepts in science, social studies, language arts, math and health/nutrition.
- Develop a collegial group that offers professional support and endless opportunities to share resources, teaching techniques and ideas, and networking experiences.
Who should attend?
- Educators at all K-12 levels
- Administrators, Curriculum Directors
- Career and Guidance Counselors